Dental anxiety can be a very real problem – We have found that many patients avoid the dentist entirely due to dental fear. We, at Wake Forest Dental Arts feel that the best way to address dental anxiety is by finding a compassionate dentist who has experience with patients suffering with it and offers sedation dentistry options. Sedation during dental treatments allows the patient to relax enough for everything from routine cleanings to more invasive surgical procedures. Below are 3 great reasons to consider sedation dentistry:
1. Sedation dentistry is safe, quick and effective at alleviating anxiety: This allows for a successful dental appointment. At Wake Forest Dental Arts, Dr. Winkelmann recommends a form of sedation to help apprehensive patients get through dental treatments. “Sometimes being gentle is just not enough,” says Dr. Winkelmann. However, with sedation options, patients can relax for 2 – 3 hours depending on their treatment. The effects of the sedation wear off quickly however, all patients opting for oral sedation need a driver.
2. You have choices: Whether you choose Moderate IV Sedation or Nitrous Oxide, our patients can decide what form and at what level of sedation they would like.
• Nitrous Oxide – Otherwise known as “laughing gas” Nitrous is a gas that when inhaled, relaxes the patient’s muscles, kills pain, and has a euphoric effect. The effects typically wear off minutes after patient has stopped inhaling.
• Oral Sedation – Dr. Winkelmann can prescribe anti-anxiety medication to help patients relax through a dental procedure.
• IV Sedation – Dr. Winkelmann is licensed to treat patients utilizing IV Sedation. With IV Sedation, patients receive sedative medication through an IV so the effects are experienced very quickly and Dr. Winkelmann can adjust the level of sedation throughout the procedure based on client’s needs. Patients are typically on the verge of unconsciousness (twightlight sleep) but easily awakened and effects of the sedative can be reversed with medication.
3. Get it all done at one time: With the use of sedation dentistry, patients can get multiple procedures accomplished at once. Although sedation immensely helps the dental phobic patient, many of our patients who opt for sedation don’t even have a dental phobia. Rather, these patients need multiple procedures and would like to get it all done in a day. With IV sedation, patients can simply relax and forget about time while getting the treatments they have been putting off.
Don’t let your fear prevent you from having a healthy smile! If you suffer from a fear of dentists or dental treatments, ask Wake Forest, NC dentist, Dr. Winkelmann about sedation dentistry today. Contact our office if you have questions or wish to schedule a consultation.